Monday, 8 August 2016

Looking Forward...

I might have given the impression yesterday that I'm being a bit negative about taking this course. Certainly the lovely messages of support I received, both on the blog and privately, suggested that. What a smashing lot you are! I already feel as if this blog is going to be a warm and welcome place to relax between coursework. (I should point out that all comments are moderated before appearing on the blog, so don't worry if your message doesn't appear straight away. If it doesn't appear at all after 48 hours, do let me know).

The truth is that the wobble was only brief, but as I want to share all my feelings about taking this course on this blog, I didn't want to leave my worries out and pretend that it's all rainbows and roses on this journey. There will be times when I am convinced I've bitten off more than I can chew, and other times when I know without doubt that it's the best thing I've ever done. Knowing myself as I do, it is possible there will be times when I feel both emotions at the same time.

In reality, I'm monumentally excited by the course and October 1st seems a long way off at the moment. I'm itching to get started! Whilst I do intend to stay true to myself, I am looking forward to being challenged, enthralled and hopefully taking my particular style of writing to new places.

I intend to take Fiction as a first subject, with Creative Non-Fiction as a second.  I have been looking at the sample exercises for the course and these are things I feel I can really get my teeth into, perhaps more so than trying to make something meaningful out of the clutter in my living room. There seems to be room for individuality in both subjects.

I particularly like the idea of trying three different openings for a novel. All the writers here will know how hard it is to get those first lines down (and how often we then go on to change them!) Having the freedom to play with the opening will be a valuable exercise.

The Creative Non-Fiction exercise suggests writing about something that interests you, trying different points of view, such as first or third, or more general terms ('you' then 'I'). This idea excites me and I'm already thinking about what I want to write and how I want to write it.

I already have a notebook which I intend to devote to the exercises for this course, and have created a folder on my laptop to save exercise samples and course materials. So metaphorically speaking I have my white tie and top hat. All I need now is the course...

3 comments:

Kath McGurl said...

I think my novel The Emerald Comb went through about 7 different chapter 1s before being published. And I am in the process of rewriting my WIP and starting it in a completely different place. Bloody hard work.

Quillers said...

I've often deleted an entire first chapter to start again! It is quite therapeutic.

Sue Blackburn said...

Gosh your sense of anticipation shines through. I think it's lovely to have something to get your teeth into and surely that's the most important thing. A challenge and something else to think about.

I'm really enjoying your journey. Thank you for sharing it :-) xx