Saturday, 6 August 2016

Getting started - Call me Tracy

Welcome to my new blog, on which I hope to chart my adventures taking an MA in Creative Writing with the Open University.

I intend to use this blog as a sort of writer's journal, so will share the highs and lows of taking the course with you, and give everyone an idea of exactly what is involved in taking an MA in Creative Writing (without infringing on the privacy of others).

For those who don't know me, I am a well-published author (under a pen name). On this blog I am using my real name of Tracy (the vagaries of Blogger mean that all my posts are signed 'Quillers', which is a version of my pen-name).

I have had stories and articles published in magazines in Britain and abroad, and I have had over 20 novellas published, mainly by DC Thomson's Pocket Novel imprints by My Weekly and The People's Friend, and in large print with Linford Romance Library. But this blog is not here to sell my work. I have another blog for that. I just thought it would be nice to give a bit of background.

I have wanted to do an MA in Creative Writing for years, and the new rules about loans, and the fact that the OU ask for no other entry requirements other than a first degree (I have a 2.1 hons degree in Humanities and Literature), have led me to signing up for this.

At the same time I am taking care of my husband, who has Esophageal Cancer. The course is my way of taking time out from the worries of that (when it's appropriate and he doesn't need me) and it might also mean that I cannot finish the course within two years. But I have ten years in which to complete it, so that gives me the time I need to prioritise my husband and family.

I hope you will enjoy taking this journey with me. I cannot promise to update every day, or even every week, but I hope it will be regular enough to make it worthwhile you sticking with me.

Tracy

3 comments:

Meg said...

I was so sorry to hear about your husband's illness, Tracy, but want to wish you well with your MA.

In my forties, I studied for a BA(Hons) in English Studies at Nottingham University, then found I couldn't stop and went on to complete an MA and a MPhil. One module of my BA was studying creative writing with Tom Paulin. So, from my own experience, I know how much pleasure and satisfaction you will get from working on your MA as a mature student.

I look forward to reading how it goes and wish you all the luck in the world.

Quillers said...

Thank you, Meg. And it's lovely to hear from you! xxx

Sue Blackburn said...

I think it's brilliant you are doing this and shall be so interested to follow you.

The very best of luck with everything xx